Thursday, September 12, 2013

Spiritual & Physical Discipline

This isn't the ordinary kind of blog post I usually write on here, but hey, it's my blog and I'll write what I want to (in the tune of "It's My Party and I'll Cry If I Want To"). 

This week God has used other people and situations to make me realize why weight loss and spiritual maturity goals haven't lasted, faltered or quite bluntly, failed.  Here are the two things I have come to terms with that I really believe are confirmation that this year, 2013, is my year to conquer this physical weight issue and spiritual slump. Now, I am fully aware that everyone goes through seasons of suffering and struggles.  I am also aware that there will be days where I don't feel like reading the Bible or going to the gym, but I hope that reading this blog post in those moments will bring me back to terms with my mission. 

1.  Yes, working out, eating well, reading the Bible, not giving into worldly desires, all these things are sacrifices.  You know what else was a sacrifice?  God sent his one and only son, Jesus Christ, to DIE for you to live this life; and not just live a mundane life, but one knowing and living for God in close relationship.  Yeah, I think I can manage to get off my butt and walk the track for 30 minutes or choose grilled instead of crispy... at least nine times out of ten.  And yes, it's a sacrifice to read a chapter in the Bible while YouTube and Netflix await.  It's a sacrifice to not drink, to not swear (working on this one), to not dress provocatively or remain abstinent until marriage.  BUT, it's a sacrifice you will NEVER regret.  It's a form of discipline that can only benefit you and bring glory to God.  And after all, isn't that what our lives are all about?

2.  Spiritual and physical discipline go hand in hand.  When you are taking care of your body, your mind is sharper and more apt to focusing on the Word.  You can analyze it wiser, focus longer and take the inspiration of what God's teaching you to be on fire during your workout.  When you are reading about Jesus and get excited about what he's teaching you through the Bible, you are just that more excited to tune his temple, also known as your body.  And of course, exercise give your endorphins, and endorphins make you happy, and happy people just don't kill their husbands (a possible place of temptation for some people, similar to other previously state struggles).

Read the Word daily.  Just one chapter.  Just 5 minutes.  Whatever you can do, do it with a highlight in hand.  STUDY the Word.  Take notes of things that God reveals to you.  PRAY before and after your read.  PRAY in the car, while you're walking to class/work, when you see someone who looks like they could use it, and when you see someone who doesn't look like they could use it. When you sing songs about God, mean it. 

Work out 4 days a week, and add in a fun exercise a 5th day of the week.  Hey, that's two days free.  You're welcome. 

You CAN do this.  But, you CAN'T do it alone. Seek God daily.  And you will SUCCEED. <3

-jh

No comments:

Post a Comment