This isn't the ordinary kind of blog post I usually write on here, but hey, it's my blog and I'll write what I want to (in the tune of "It's My Party and I'll Cry If I Want To").
This week God has used other people and situations to make me realize why weight loss and spiritual maturity goals haven't lasted, faltered or quite bluntly, failed. Here are the two things I have come to terms with that I really believe are confirmation that this year, 2013, is my year to conquer this physical weight issue and spiritual slump. Now, I am fully aware that everyone goes through seasons of suffering and struggles. I am also aware that there will be days where I don't feel like reading the Bible or going to the gym, but I hope that reading this blog post in those moments will bring me back to terms with my mission.
1. Yes, working out, eating well, reading the Bible, not giving into worldly desires, all these things are sacrifices. You know what else was a sacrifice? God sent his one and only son, Jesus Christ, to DIE for you to live this life; and not just live a mundane life, but one knowing and living for God in close relationship. Yeah, I think I can manage to get off my butt and walk the track for 30 minutes or choose grilled instead of crispy... at least nine times out of ten. And yes, it's a sacrifice to read a chapter in the Bible while YouTube and Netflix await. It's a sacrifice to not drink, to not swear (working on this one), to not dress provocatively or remain abstinent until marriage. BUT, it's a sacrifice you will NEVER regret. It's a form of discipline that can only benefit you and bring glory to God. And after all, isn't that what our lives are all about?
2. Spiritual and physical discipline go hand in hand. When you are taking care of your body, your mind is sharper and more apt to focusing on the Word. You can analyze it wiser, focus longer and take the inspiration of what God's teaching you to be on fire during your workout. When you are reading about Jesus and get excited about what he's teaching you through the Bible, you are just that more excited to tune his temple, also known as your body. And of course, exercise give your endorphins, and endorphins make you happy, and happy people just don't kill their husbands (a possible place of temptation for some people, similar to other previously state struggles).
Read the Word daily. Just one chapter. Just 5 minutes. Whatever you can do, do it with a highlight in hand. STUDY the Word. Take notes of things that God reveals to you. PRAY before and after your read. PRAY in the car, while you're walking to class/work, when you see someone who looks like they could use it, and when you see someone who doesn't look like they could use it. When you sing songs about God, mean it.
Work out 4 days a week, and add in a fun exercise a 5th day of the week. Hey, that's two days free. You're welcome.
You CAN do this. But, you CAN'T do it alone. Seek God daily. And you will SUCCEED. <3
Thursday, September 12, 2013
Monday, July 22, 2013
As a young lady fairly obsessed with all things girly, I couldn't get all dolled up for a summer wedding and not take a few photos to post an Outfit of the Day and Face of the Day!
Target (on clearance for about $18!)
PayLess Shoe Source
San Diego Old Towne jewelry cart
Rimmel London Wake Me Up foundation and concealer, MAC Mineralized Skin Finish
Urban Decay Naked Palette: Virgin, Sidecar, Half Baked, Buck
Rimmel London Scandal Eyes liner in Brown (top only)
Maybelline The Falsies mascara (top only)
Too Faced Velvet Revolver to fill in the brows
Revlon Lip Butter in Creme Brulee
Stila Lip Gloss in Lights
Wednesday, July 10, 2013
-Shirt & Shorts: Wal-Mart
-Headband: Unknown bandana
-Sunglasses: Primark (London purchase)
-MAC Bare Study Paint Pot
-Covergirl Liquiline Eyeliner in Blue (top lashes only)
-Maybelline One By One Mascara (top lashes only)
-Revlon Lip Butter in Wild Watermelon
Sorry this post is super delayed!
Wednesday, July 3, 2013
Simple, but festive.
I didn't want to go too over the top this year, but you can't have
America's Independence Day without some gaudy red, white, and blue.
- Red: Ulta Eye Popping Poppy under OPI I'm Not Really A Waitress
- Blue: Ulta Bluestreak under Sally Hansen HD Blu
- White: Orly Instant Artist Striper
It's was a special feeling last week at a concert I attended, a celebration of America. When the MC called for a moment of silence for veterans and during a solo rendition of the country's national anthem, suddenly 70 to 80,000 people were silent in a tribute to our great nation. It was a surreal moment. To all me fellow Americans, happy 4th of July! To any international readers, happy fourth day of July! :)
Monday, July 1, 2013
Welp, two months of summer vacation have passed, and while I'm not entirely stoked to start classes in a little over a month, I am thoroughly embracing all things summer. Check out my top ten favorite things for June after the jump!
Thursday, June 27, 2013
Whilst in London last month, I purchased many, many drugstore makeup items that aren't easily accessible in the States. After wearing some of the products on the trip, a few girls asked if I would go to Superdrug (a UK drugstore) and show them what I bought so they could get their hands on the same great products. Later in the week, they asked me to do their makeup for a Medieval Banquet we attended on one of our final nights in London. I snagged a few pictures:
Top: Killian, with and without flash.
Bottom: Katy, with and without flash.
Top: Killian, with and without flash.
Bottom: Katy, with and without flash.
- Sleek - Storm Eye Shadow Palette
- Sleek - Naturals Eye Shadow Palette
- Rimmel London - Scandal Eyes Kohl Kajal in brown
- Maybelline - Color Tattoos
"Without makeup, women are pretty, but with makeup they can be pretty powerful."
-- Bobbi Brown
Monday, June 24, 2013
In a spirit of simplification, I have gone through my YouTube subscription list and determined my favorite beauty & wellness beauty vloggers. I thought I would share who my top 11 girls are and why I love their channels. For the last three years I have been obsessed with the hauls, tutorials, reviews and more on YouTube. Here are the girls I just couldn't unsubscribe!
Most Recent Discoveries
Most Recent Discoveries
- Dani Austin - www.youtube.com/daniaustin2 | Dani is one of my newest subbies. I found her via her brother, Landon Austin, who is a favorite YouTube musician. Dani is young and adorable. She is studying exercise science at the University of Texas which infuses her channel with helpful tips for healthy living. Her style is trendy and inspiring, while her makeup and hair is simple and stunning.
- Carly Cristman - www.youtube.com/carlycristman | Holy fashionista! Carly is a model and stylist, so naturally her videos are mostly fashion centered. She does have tutorials and product-based videos, but you can't see Carly's true passion until you hear her talk about style. She describes clothing so beautifully and mixes on-trend pieces with basics. As a bonus, she has a super cool Chicago accent.
- FleurdeForce - www.youtube.com/fleurdeforce | Fleur is the first beauty YouTuber I subscribed to. She has a classic style and really knows her stuff. When she describes products (her blog is also a fave) she is so eloquent and thoughtful. She doesn't sugar coat bad products meanwhile her excitement about the gold-mines make you want to rush to Superdrug or Boots to pick it up. (While she obviously reviews products that are UK-based, she also uses many products readily available in the States).
- Tanya Burr - www.youtube.com/pixi2woo | Tanya is by far my go-to channel when I want a beautiful and achievable makeup tutorial. She is a formally trained makeup artist with a very sweet spirit about her. All of her tutorials are very helpful and offer step-by-step instruction.
- Blair Fowler - www.youtube.com/juicystar07 | I deem these two ladies as "the original pair" because they are the first YouTubers in the beauty community that I found and subscribed to. Blair was the very first that I watched after a random Tumblr post lead me to one of her tutorials. She is very upbeat and excited about the little things. Something about her is just very likeable.
- Elle Fowler - www.youtube.com/allthatglitters21 | Elle Fowler is, you guessed it, Blair's sister. Elle started on YouTube when she was in college and throughout the years has grown into a sophisticated young lady. Her sophistication is exemplified on her channel. These days she focuses on higher end products and skin care with extra videos all about home decor. The cameos of her precious deaf kitty named Pinecone are also a big plus.
- Ingrid Nilsen - www.youtube.com/missglamorazzi | Ingrid is a ball of nerdy sunshine, and I mean that in the best possible way. As one of my all-time favorite YouTubers, Ingrid is not afraid to be herself. She dabbles in everything: makeup, skincare, hair, fashion. She takes her experiences and infuses her wisdom into her videos. She also has an awesome kitty-cat who peaks his head into videos, named Nugget. And for a final fun fact: she rocks the David & Goliath "I Heart Nerds" hoodie and featured where she bought it in London in a vlog. I definitely made a point to go to Covent Garden on my trip and buy the same hoodie - no shame, it's fantastic.
- Allison - www.youtube.com/amarixe | Allison is sweet and sarcastic. Her humor makes me laugh, especially when you catch her laughing at her own jokes. She has a simple style and blush fetish. She recently moved to LA, but you would think she's lived there all her life. Allison has a laid back essence, but won't mess around when she's on the hunt for new makeup lines.
- Nikki Phillippi - www.youtube.com/NikkiPhillippi | Nikki is so positive and encouraging. It is obvious that she genuinely wants to help people! I love her "healthy junk food" videos and passion for comfort in fashion. I wish this girl had her own reality show because she is just a joy to watch. Her vlog channel is also a favorite - her relationship with her husband Dan is inspiring.
- Rachel Talbott - www.youtube.com/checkinthemirror | Rachel worked for many years in the skincare industry which leads to super informative videos. I am always learning interesting facts about skin and hair from her. She is also very fashion forward, which is fun and inspiring to watch.
- MissJenFabulous - www.youtube.com/missjenfabulous | Jen is a licensed cosmotologist and can offer many tips and tricks in her videos. However, my favorite videos are all her nail art tutorials! She is very helpful and has an array of videos using dotting tools, stripers, and everyday household items.